That the Assembly resolve to
- ask the Doctrine and Worship Working Groups and Uniting Justice to produce a discussion paper on the theology of same sex relationships and unions in the light of the Basis of Union; and
- circulate the paper to Synods, Presbyteries, congregations and agencies of the
by June 2014, requesting responses to the Working Groups by December Uniting Church
Background papers to the Sexuality Report (1996) did not address any potential conflict with the Basis of Union.
The 1997 Assembly
- Introduced a new clause 2 to the Constitution that the
is to be guided by the Basis of Union. Uniting Church
- Approved the Statement on Marriage including that it is between a man and a women
- Did not approve ‘right relationship’ and neither did any subsequent Assembly.
It is therefore time to produce a discussion paper as described above.